In this very first mailbag episode, I’ll be answering questions submitted by Dr. Amy Parks and Dr. Leslie Blevins. We’ll be talking about what it means to go before the rest of our field to make bold and daring changes in our practice. How do we engage with our community, our peers, when charging full fee, getting off insurance panels, or implementing a no-cancellation policy? What do we do when we get pushback from other therapists who use shame and fear to deter us, because they feel afraid or threatened?
What do it mean to go first? It requires courage, foresight, and an understanding that we’re playing the long game. We understand what it means to work for something bigger.
Listen to the episode:
In this episode, we’ll discuss:
- How to stop the cycle of martyrdom;
- The ways we can model our value and the value we provide in our work;
- How we can charge for clinical supervision without sacrificing our full fee;
- Getting off insurance panels in a town where everybody takes insurance;
- What it means to go first in our field and break away from the system;
- And what to do when we’re met with shame and guilt by other therapists.